Salmon with Smoked Avocado Salsa
A quick and easy way to have some awesome salmon. One salmon side is seasoned and paired with a smoked avocado lime salsa. This recipe was adapted from a Traeger recipe for my pellet grill (the original recipe called for a much higher cook temperature that my grill just can’t hit). After trying it, the slightly longer cook at a little lower temperature is a winner.
- 1 (2-3 lb) Salmon side
- 1 tbsp
- 3 avocados halved and pitted
- ½ medium red onion small diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium jalapeño seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro rinsed and chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Butcher paper
- Preheat your pellet grill to 165°F.
- Place avocados cut-side up directly on the grill grate. Smoke for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Set aside for the salsa.3 avocados
- Increase the grill temperature to 300°F.
- Season the salmon with the seafood rub . Place skin-side down on butcher paper and place both directly on the grill grate. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the salmon temperature reaches 155°F in the thickest part of the salmon.1 (2-3 lb) Salmon side, 1 tbsp seafood rub, Butcher paper
- While the salmon is cooking make the salsa. Chop the smoked avocados and combine with remaining salsa ingredients in a small bowl.½ medium red onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 medium jalapeño, ¼ cup fresh cilantro, 1 lime, 1 tsp Kosher salt, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 3 avocados
- Remove the salmon from the grill and top with the avocado salsa.
Alternatively, if you don’t have a pellet grill you can make this in the oven. You just won’t get the smokey flavors and the fish may dry a little more. Another note: don’t overdo it on the rub!