Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Another easy, light ice cream recipe that'll hit the spot.
- 1 Ice Cream Maker
- 1 bar Ghiardelli chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Place ice cream bowl in freezer 24 hours prior to making ice cream.
Ice cream batter
- Stir together milk, heavy cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract in a large bowl. Stir until sugar has dissolved.2 cups milk, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 cup white sugar, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Optionally add green food coloring to your liking.3 drops green food coloring
- Following the instructions for your ice cream mixer, add batter to the bowl and allow to mix as directed.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice or shave the chocolate bar to get ~1 cup of shavings or chips.1 bar Ghiardelli chocolate
- 10 minutes into the mixing process add the chocolate shavings/chips.
- Once ripening is complete (about 30 minutes), transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe bowl or dish and freeze for an additional 1-2 hours to harden.
Optionally you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I opted to go with the good bar of chocolate. The kids didn’t complain. The trick is to get the pieces shaved down as small as you can, since large chunks, once frozen, are not fun to bite into. Don’t overdo the peppermint extract; this ice cream is a little sweeter already than the typical store-bought mint chocolate chip, so you don’t want to overdo it.