Asparagus Risotto with Herbs
A light salad perfect for that fresh asparagus we're seeing this time of year
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup white wine
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ cup fresh herbs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped
- parmesan cheese
- Add 1 yellow onion, 6 garlic cloves, and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to a large pot. Sauté over medium heat for about 6-7 minutes.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add 1 bunch asparagus and blanch for 1 minute, then drain and set aside.
- Add ¾ cup white wine to the onion and simmer until all liquid has absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add in 2 cups arborio rice, half of the herbs, 1 tsp sea salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, and 2 bay leaves. Toast the rice for 2 minutes.½ cup fresh herbs
- Add in 1 cup of vegetable broth and simmer over low heat until absorbed, stirring frequently. Repeat this step, adding 1 cup of broth at a time. Once you have used 4 cups, stir in parmesan cheese (optional).6 cups vegetable broth
- Add in another cup of broth and check the rice for doneness. Keep adding 1 cup at a time until the rice is fully cooked and the risotto is creamy.6 cups vegetable broth
- Discard the bay leaves and stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice, rest of the herbs, and blanched asparagus.½ cup fresh herbs
- Serve warm with extra parmesan.