Apple Carrot Muffins
Everybody, my kids included, likes muffins. This recipe combines the flavors of carrots with the more traditional apple, cinnamon, banana, and oats for a breakfast treat.
- 1 muffin tin
- 1½ tbsp flaxseed meal
- 4 tbsp water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup mashed banana very ripe
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweet applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup unsweet creamy oat milk
- 1 cup carrot grated
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup raw walnuts roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Prepare the flax egg by combining the flaxseed meal and water in a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.1½ tbsp flaxseed meal, 4 tbsp water
- Line a muffin tin with liners or grease it.
- To the flax egg, add the banana, syrup, and oil. Whisk to combine. Add the applesauce, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Whisk again. Add the oat milk and carrots and stir. Finally, add the oats, almond meal, and flour and stir again.¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, ⅓ cup mashed banana, ¼ cup pure maple syrup, ½ cup unsweet applesauce, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp sea salt, ½ cup unsweet creamy oat milk, 1 cup carrot, ⅔ cup rolled oats, ½ cup almond meal, 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Divide the mixture evenly among the 12 muffin tins by filling them all the way to the top. Top with the chopped walnuts.½ cup raw walnuts
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until they are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, enjoy or store in a covered container at room temp or freeze.
Alternatively, instead of a flax egg use a real egg.